A very global boho Christmas home tour with renter-friendly holiday decorating ideas and DIYs for small spaces in eclectic style.
Howdy! I’m so excited to be joining Carrie from Lovely Etc. in A Very Merry Christmas Home Tour with 30 Christmas home tours and 100s of Christmas decorating ideas!
Today is also the kickoff for A Very Global Christmas series with my friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living where we are sharing 12 days of globally influenced Christmas decor ideas and DIYs.
You’ll want to check in every day this week for more creative Christmas home tours and to see what Steph and I are sharing for global inspiration. You can find all updated posts on A Very Global Christmas page.
A Chic Boho Christmas Home Tour with Renter Friendly Decorating Ideas
Today I’m sharing with you our global Christmas living room. You can find Casa Watkins Living’s Simple Boho Christmas Living Room here. We live in a small Japanese rental so I was a little nervous about using all three pieces of our 7 feet tall Christmas tree. Last year I just used the top two-thirds but this year I went all out!
Amazingly it fits! We had to push my baby grand piano all the way over to the garden window but it really created quite a bit of extra space. You can see how it looked last year here.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. You still pay the same price but I receive a small commission. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I really wanted to use this starlight pendant as the tree topper and I’m so glad it worked out. Even though it’s wedged between the tree and ceiling it looks beautiful and at night you can really see the star glowing. It’s the perfect boho tree-topped in my opinion! Make sure to check out the boho Christmas ornaments in this story!
I kept the holiday decor pretty minimal due to space but still managed to get in a few lovely vignettes. I used the same color inspiration that I had with our Fall decor. The color palette came from my Eddie Ross inspired tablescape.
Bohohemian Christmas Living Room Decor
Our coffee table Japanese ceramic bowl decor went from being filled with velvet pumpkins to mercury ornaments and faux air plants. Bohemian Christmas decor definitely needs green elements like plants!
A faux sheepskin rug adds a wintery touch to a modern advent wreath. (The quickest DIY ever!) Cozy layers are a must for bohemian Christmas decor and faux sheepskins are perfect for that added warmth and texture.
More faux stems and succulents keep with the global boho Christmas theme and since I found most of the items from our dollar store, this quick DIY was cheap.
I just updated my West Elm inspired modern nutcrackers for this year on Thanksgiving morning with wool pom-poms on their little hats. You can find the supplies for this DIY at the dollar store too!
I recently found some metallic ceramic pinecones at the 100 yen store (Japanese dollar store!). Seriously, my favorite store hands down. I styled them with a black bamboo birdcage we picked up in Hong Kong. More faux succulents and a wood stump table add the perfect globally inspired bohemian Christmas vibe I was looking for.
The other wall is the entrance to the living room. A cute wood french door greets you as you walk in from the foyer. For a small rental, this home has a lot of charm. 😉
And then the wall that was the biggest challenge as a renter. It has an intercom/doorbell system smack in the middle with the cord trailing up to almost the ceiling hence the large threshing basket and leaning art pieces to cover the eyesores. A few bottle brush trees and a pair of antlers decorate the mantel and hold DIY Stockings with Trim.
The faux mantel and room heater/stove create a nice focal point for the living room and is super cozy with the twinkling lights and “flames”. I created a boho Christmas garland with pom-pom trim, dollar store greenery and mini ornaments.
On top of the heater is a stack of books with a DIY mini moss wreath, brass singing bowl, and more mini ornamental balls.
This small living area serves as our main hang-out room, my piano studio, and my office. With two kids and two pets, it can easily get crowded and messy but we are enjoying our adventures of living in Japan! The trade-off is definitely worth it.
In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the home tours!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- See a Colorful Spring Home Tour with Maximalist Interiors and Easy Decorating TipsAre you drawn to maximalist interiors? Find simple decorating tips for creating a colorful room without looking cluttered this Spring. It’s much fun to see so many maximalist, cottage-core, granny-chic, and grand-millennial style words and interiors floating around the internet these days. What these words describe has been my decorating aesthetic for years, especially now…
- How to Create Beautiful Spring Vignettes and a Colorful Home TourSee how to create beautiful Spring vignettes with colorful and eclectic finds in this fun home tour featuring a maximalist style. Changing up decor for the season doesn’t have to be a chore! Have fun and play with what you already have. Find inspiration in over 20 home tours and style your own Spring vignettes….
- How to Style a Dresser with Five Beautiful IdeasLearn how to style a dresser with tall dresser decor ideas and tips for long dressers, odd windows, and wall-mounted TVs. Dressers and tall chests can be tricky to decorate. Here are some lovely examples that showcase pretty vignettes with various styles. Scroll down for tips for creating a perfectly styled dresser. Five Beautiful Dresser…
- Beautiful Styled Bookshelves – Three Creative Ideas to TryBe inspired by three easy methods for beautifully styled bookshelves and follow along the step-by-step process to recreate the look. Take the guesswork out of perfectly styled bookshelves. Well hi there! What a day I had yesterday. It started with a Core Barre Class (which was my first time and totally kicked my rear) and…
- Give Your Glass Kitchen Canisters a Makeover with this Easy DIYTry an easy kitchen canister makeover with a simple DIY to give glass jars a stylish update with copper lids and chalkboard labels. Looking for ways to spruce up the kitchen on a budget? I’m excited to share a glass canister DIY that is perfect for displaying out on the kitchen counter or shelf. Glass…