A very global boho Christmas home tour with renter-friendly holiday decorating ideas and DIYs for small spaces in eclectic style.
Howdy! I’m so excited to be joining Carrie from Lovely Etc. in A Very Merry Christmas Home Tour with 30 Christmas home tours and 100s of Christmas decorating ideas!
Today is also the kickoff for A Very Global Christmas series with my friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living where we are sharing 12 days of globally influenced Christmas decor ideas and DIYs.
You’ll want to check in every day this week for more creative Christmas home tours and to see what Steph and I are sharing for global inspiration. You can find all updated posts on A Very Global Christmas page.
A Chic Boho Christmas Home Tour with Renter Friendly Decorating Ideas
Today I’m sharing with you our global Christmas living room. You can find Casa Watkins Living’s Simple Boho Christmas Living Room here. We live in a small Japanese rental so I was a little nervous about using all three pieces of our 7 feet tall Christmas tree. Last year I just used the top two-thirds but this year I went all out!
Amazingly it fits! We had to push my baby grand piano all the way over to the garden window but it really created quite a bit of extra space. You can see how it looked last year here.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. You still pay the same price but I receive a small commission. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I really wanted to use this starlight pendant as the tree topper and I’m so glad it worked out. Even though it’s wedged between the tree and ceiling it looks beautiful and at night you can really see the star glowing. It’s the perfect boho tree-topped in my opinion! Make sure to check out the boho Christmas ornaments in this story!
I kept the holiday decor pretty minimal due to space but still managed to get in a few lovely vignettes. I used the same color inspiration that I had with our Fall decor. The color palette came from my Eddie Ross inspired tablescape.
Bohohemian Christmas Living Room Decor
Our coffee table Japanese ceramic bowl decor went from being filled with velvet pumpkins to mercury ornaments and faux air plants. Bohemian Christmas decor definitely needs green elements like plants!
A faux sheepskin rug adds a wintery touch to a modern advent wreath. (The quickest DIY ever!) Cozy layers are a must for bohemian Christmas decor and faux sheepskins are perfect for that added warmth and texture.
More faux stems and succulents keep with the global boho Christmas theme and since I found most of the items from our dollar store, this quick DIY was cheap.
I just updated my West Elm inspired modern nutcrackers for this year on Thanksgiving morning with wool pom-poms on their little hats. You can find the supplies for this DIY at the dollar store too!
I recently found some metallic ceramic pinecones at the 100 yen store (Japanese dollar store!). Seriously, my favorite store hands down. I styled them with a black bamboo birdcage we picked up in Hong Kong. More faux succulents and a wood stump table add the perfect globally inspired bohemian Christmas vibe I was looking for.
The other wall is the entrance to the living room. A cute wood french door greets you as you walk in from the foyer. For a small rental, this home has a lot of charm. 😉
And then the wall that was the biggest challenge as a renter. It has an intercom/doorbell system smack in the middle with the cord trailing up to almost the ceiling hence the large threshing basket and leaning art pieces to cover the eyesores. A few bottle brush trees and a pair of antlers decorate the mantel and hold DIY Stockings with Trim.
The faux mantel and room heater/stove create a nice focal point for the living room and is super cozy with the twinkling lights and “flames”. I created a boho Christmas garland with pom-pom trim, dollar store greenery and mini ornaments.
On top of the heater is a stack of books with a DIY mini moss wreath, brass singing bowl, and more mini ornamental balls.
This small living area serves as our main hang-out room, my piano studio, and my office. With two kids and two pets, it can easily get crowded and messy but we are enjoying our adventures of living in Japan! The trade-off is definitely worth it.
In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the home tours!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of a feather stick together at least when they are covered with paper mache. Let’s make paper mache birds and let our creativity take flight. It truly is amazing … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this super simple DIY fabric frame guide and discover how to cover a picture … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing up and letting your imagination run wild knows no limit and that’s why I’m here today. My daughter and I are excited to share our fun journey into … Read more