Learn how to hang garland the right way and creative places to display evergreens for a magical holiday season.
Greetings friend. As we are experiencing our first true cool morning this Fall, I’m thinking about decorating my home to create a warm and festive atmosphere.
I used to struggle with knowing how and where to hang garland indoors but I always loved seeing magazines and other homes look so magical during this time of year.
If you can relate to my garland-hanging struggles, this post is for you! In this article, you’ll find unique and creative places to hang garlands and a step-by-step guide on how to hang garland that will transform your home for the holidays!
How and Where to Hang Garland Inside Your Home for the Holidays
A Brief History of Garland for Winter Decorating
Even though garland, in various forms, have been around for thousands of years, it was during the Middle Ages that they began to appear in homes during the winter season. Evergreen garlands, adorned with holly and ivy symbolized hope and the promise of Spring’s return adding a touch of warmth and cheer to the long-cold winter months.
Later on, during the Victorian era, elaborate garlands made their way into homes featuring candles, ribbons, and ornaments. That is when they really became an essential part of winter and holiday decor.
Let’s dive into the traditional and creative aspects of hanging garland indoors.
Choosing the Right Garland for Your Space
The first step is to decide on faux, real greenery, or a mix. I think ideally, a realistic-looking faux is the most practical as it doesn’t drop needles, can be used year after year, and saves you money. You can spritz it with an evergreen spray if you miss the smell of live evergreens!
Of course, nothing is quite the real deal and I have crafted many evergreen decorations when we had the trees growing in our yard. If you are one of the lucky ones with beautiful pines, spruce, or other evergreens, consider using clipping mixed into a faux garland to get a bit of the real deal. I bet your guests would never know!
A third option is to go with a festive alternative like a metallic or beaded faux garland. The type of garland you choose can set the tone for your overall decor and you can really have fun with the many choices available at craft stores and online these days!
Personally, I’ve found that experimenting with different types of greenery and materials can yield stunning results.
Tools and Materials You’ll Need to Hang Garland
Now that we’ve chosen the perfect garland, let’s gather the tools and materials needed to hang it securely.
Invest in Sturdy Hooks or Hangers
To hang your garland securely, use hooks or hangers that can support the weight of the garland. Self-adhesive hooks or removable hooks are excellent options, especially if you want to avoid damaging your walls.
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Before you start hanging your garland, measure the space carefully to ensure you have the right length. It’s always better to have a little extra than to come up short. Once you have the measurements, you can cut the garland to the desired length using wire cutters.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Hang Garland
With the tools and materials ready, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of hanging garland indoors. I used to find this part intimidating, but following these steps has made it much easier for me.
Step 1: Prepare the Surface
Start by cleaning the surface where you plan to hang your garland. Wipe away any dust, dirt, or debris with a dry or damp cloth to ensure a smooth application of hooks or hangers.
Step 2: Choose the Right Hooks or Hangers
Select the appropriate hooks or hangers based on your garland’s weight and the surface you’re working with. If you’re hanging garland on a wall, self-adhesive hooks are usually sufficient. For heavier garlands or mantels, opt for sturdy wall hooks or decorative hangers.
Step 3: Measure and Cut the Garland if Needed
Using your measurements, cut the garland to the desired length. Be careful when cutting to avoid damaging the greenery or any attached decorations.
Step 4: Attach the Hooks or Hangers
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to attach the hooks or hangers securely to the surface. Make sure they are level and evenly spaced to create a balanced look.
Step 5: Hang the Garland
Carefully drape or attach the garland to the hooks or hangers. Start from one end and work your way to the other, ensuring it is evenly distributed and doesn’t sag.
How to Attach Garland to a Mantle
I want to address the most traditional spot in the home for garland! And since it can be displayed in many ways, let’s get into how to display garland on a fireplace mantel.
- Clear off and dust your mantel by wiping it with a damp cloth.
- Fluff your garland leaving one side flat so it can sit directly on top of your mantel. This can be done while it is sitting on top. Arrange it so it lays symmetrical or asymmetrical.
- You can really have fun with garland arrangements on top of the fireplace mantel. Try adding in extra embellishments of floral picks or stems, tall candle sticks, and ornaments. Use a command hook on top of the mantel to help keep the garland in place if it seems insecure.
- If you prefer your garland swaged and/or displayed on the front of your mantel. Use command hooks to attach the garland for a damage-free method and removal.
Creative Ideas for Garland Placement
Now that you’ve mastered the basics of hanging garland, let’s chat about where to place it to enhance the festive atmosphere of your home. There are so many possibilities to explore!
The living room is often the heart of holiday gatherings, making it the perfect place to hang garland. I love draping garland along the mantel or framing a large mirror or piece of artwork. This instantly transforms the space into a cozy and inviting holiday haven.
Tall or short pieces of furniture can look amazing with garland placed on top or in front. Follow the same instructions as the fireplace mantel above.
Drape garland or extra leftover pieces over your dining room chandelier. This is a beautiful way to bring a seasonal touch to any holiday!
Place garland directly on your dining room table for a beautiful evergreen table runner.
Don’t limit your garland to the living areas of your home. Bringing the festive spirit into the bedroom can create a cozy retreat. Consider draping garland around the headboard or framing a bedroom mirror for a touch of holiday magic when you wake up in the morning.
Smaller pieces of garland attached to the front of floating shelves are a whimsical way to use garland in a small space.
Consider using garland in more unusual places like a bar cart! A satin ribbon gives it even more holiday style.
Tips for Hanging Garland Without Nails
If you’re concerned about damaging your walls with nails or hooks, there are other methods for hanging garland. Here are a few options.
Command hooks for garland are a lifesaver for renters or anyone looking to avoid wall damage. They come in various sizes and can support different weights. Follow the package instructions to apply them to your walls, and then hang your garland as usual.
Removable Adhesive Strips
Removable adhesive strips are perfect for lightweight garlands. They provide a strong hold without the need for nails or hooks. Just be sure to choose strips that won’t damage your type of wall when removed.
Consider using garland hangers specially designed for mantels or doors. They typically grip the edges without leaving marks or residue. Garland hangers come in various styles, including adjustable ones that fit different mantel widths.
I hope you enjoyed reading all about garlands, from choosing the perfect decorative evergreen and creative places to hang it indoors. It is so wonderful to watch your home transform into a winter wonderland!
Whether you’re celebrating Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s, or any special occasion, garland has the power to add warmth, beauty, and charm to your home.
Here’s to a season filled with joy, warmth, and the enjoyment of festive decorating.
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- DIY Christmas Countdown Door Hanging: A Unique Holiday Decor IdeaCreate a Christmas countdown door hanging with this step-by-step tutorial using ribbon, feathers, poinsettia, and a small chalkboard sign. Tired of the same old holiday decorations year after year? I can relate. So I was excited when one of my crafty friends showed me how to make a stunning poinsettia door hanging. Unlike the typical…
- Creative Tips on How and Where to Hang GarlandLearn how to hang garland the right way and creative places to display evergreens for a magical holiday season. Greetings friend. As we are experiencing our first true cool morning this Fall, I’m thinking about decorating my home to create a warm and festive atmosphere. I used to struggle with knowing how and where to…
- Craft Music Christmas Garland With an Easy DIY Paper Flower TemplateHere’s a DIY paper Christmas tree garland tutorial using holiday music sheets. Create festive decor that’s both budget-friendly and unique! Well, howdy! I am excited to share this easy DIY paper Christmas garland tutorial with you. If you have been following any of Stringtown Home’s link parties, then you know today’s theme is sheet music,…
- Try Repurposed Ornaments with Ribbon Tape – A 5 Minute DIY!Try DIY repurposed ornaments with ribbon tape! Find easy, budget-friendly crafts to create festive décor & learn current Christmas trends. Are you looking for a way to repurpose Christmas ball ornaments to give your tree a fresh look this year? I love changing my colors and trying a new look for our Christmas decorating every…