Update your fireplace mantel or shelf for Spring with a beautiful and simple DIY garland using dollar store flowers in just a few minutes.
When I was newly married, I use to treat myself by purchasing one generic seasonal or holiday decorating piece from a big box store as long as it was on sale. We are talking red heart-shaped dishes and ceramic animal figurines kind of cheap decor.
After having to move these accumulating pieces from house to house, I realized it was just stuff and it was more satisfying creating unique decor with repurposed and craft items and using our curated collection of meaningful decor in new ways for the holidays and seasons.
How to Make a Spring Garland for a Mantle
Welcome to The Global Styler series where my friends and I love to share globally inspired DIYs. I’ll show you how to make a Nordic-inspired Spring garland for your mantel with supplies in your crafting stash (you have one of those, right?). Make sure to scroll down to see what the other ladies are sharing!
What you need for a simple DIY Spring flower garland:
- bakers twine
- a handful of faux floral stems
- wire cutters
I used a couple of dollar store stems that were in my craft bin. I really like the dried faux floral mixed with yellow ball stems that were left over from a bouquet I bought years ago.
How to create a Nordic-inspired hanging flower garland:
- First separate the stems from a faux floral bunch by trimming off 6 pieces about 6 inches long.
- In a contrasting floral stem, trim off 5 short pieces.
- Measure about 5 feet of bakers string (or customize it to your mantel or where you want to hang the garland!)
- Arrange your pieces so that you have alternating short and long ones. Start with the middle and tie a knot around the bottom of the stem. Evenly place out the remaining.
My yellow balls were attached to wire so I just bent the wire into a hook and hung them on the string.
I thought the darling little houses we picked up in Kyoto over the holidays were perfect for this globally inspired minimal vignette.
After all the cozy and warm layers for winter, it’s nice to have some cleaner lines and light layers for Spring.
I can’t wait to share more of our spring decor tomorrow along with 20 other bloggers this week.
Now let’s go see more Spring DIY inspiration from my friends!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
What do you prefer? DIY seasonal decor or store-bought? And if store-bought, what are your favorite stores?
- Beautiful and Colorful Shower Curtains for Every BudgetLooking for that wow factor in your bathroom? Check out these beautiful and colorful shower curtains that fit every budget. Don’t you love that instant gratification you get when you … Read More about Make a Quick and Easy Spring Garland for Your Mantle
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about Make a Quick and Easy Spring Garland for Your Mantle
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about Make a Quick and Easy Spring Garland for Your Mantle
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about Make a Quick and Easy Spring Garland for Your Mantle
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about Make a Quick and Easy Spring Garland for Your Mantle
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.