Update your fireplace mantel or shelf for Spring with a beautiful and simple DIY garland using dollar store flowers in just a few minutes.
When I was newly married, I use to treat myself by purchasing one generic seasonal or holiday decorating piece from a big box store as long as it was on sale. We are talking red heart-shaped dishes and ceramic animal figurines kind of cheap decor.
After having to move these accumulating pieces from house to house, I realized it was just stuff and it was more satisfying creating unique decor with repurposed and craft items and using our curated collection of meaningful decor in new ways for the holidays and seasons.
How to Make a Spring Garland for a Mantle
Welcome to The Global Styler series where my friends and I love to share globally inspired DIYs. I’ll show you how to make a Nordic-inspired Spring garland for your mantel with supplies in your crafting stash (you have one of those, right?). Make sure to scroll down to see what the other ladies are sharing!
What you need for a simple DIY Spring flower garland:
- bakers twine
- a handful of faux floral stems
- wire cutters
I used a couple of dollar store stems that were in my craft bin. I really like the dried faux floral mixed with yellow ball stems that were left over from a bouquet I bought years ago.
How to create a Nordic-inspired hanging flower garland:
- First separate the stems from a faux floral bunch by trimming off 6 pieces about 6 inches long.
- In a contrasting floral stem, trim off 5 short pieces.
- Measure about 5 feet of bakers string (or customize it to your mantel or where you want to hang the garland!)
- Arrange your pieces so that you have alternating short and long ones. Start with the middle and tie a knot around the bottom of the stem. Evenly place out the remaining.
My yellow balls were attached to wire so I just bent the wire into a hook and hung them on the string.
I thought the darling little houses we picked up in Kyoto over the holidays were perfect for this globally inspired minimal vignette.
After all the cozy and warm layers for winter, it’s nice to have some cleaner lines and light layers for Spring.
I can’t wait to share more of our spring decor tomorrow along with 20 other bloggers this week.
Now let’s go see more Spring DIY inspiration from my friends!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
What do you prefer? DIY seasonal decor or store-bought? And if store-bought, what are your favorite stores?
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting