Try a modern twist on a classic wallpaper and molding idea with bird wallpaper below a chair rail and paint on top.
The big question of the day is “do you use wallpaper above or below chair molding (or dado rail)?” I say both! Read on to see why.
This post is sponsored by Milton and King. As always all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make this blog possible.
And we are back for week four of the New Year New Room Refresh Challenge hosted by Casa Watkins Living and I’m so excited to show you this week’s update for my daughter’s bedroom featuring a gorgeous bird wallpaper from Milton and King and new architectural detail.
Nine of us have one month to refresh a room and have been sharing progress each Tuesday for this fun annual challenge. Next week will be our final reveal so make sure to stop by!
Week 1: Vintage Boho Girls Room Inspiration | Week 2: An Ikea Hack for Chic Storage | Week 3: Decorating with Boho Vintage Accessories | Week 4: How to use Wallpaper, Paint, and Trim All in One Room | Week 5: A Dresser Makeover without Sanding | Week 6: Boho Vintage Girl’s Bedroom Reveal
How to Use Wallpaper Below a Chair Rail or Molding
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone for 19 years. I perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces for over fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! Our family of four lived in some of the most beautiful coastal towns in the US and Japan which have influenced my colorful and global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home in Fort Worth.
Before I give you my wallpaper and chair rail update I want to point you to a story all about chair or dado molding and how to use it. You can also find a detailed tutorial on how to install wallpaper if you are looking for more information about the application.
Let’s do a little recap, shall we? Last week I showed a bit of the new chair rail and upper wall color. If you are curious, you can check out the before pictures and inspiration board and photos.
My designer friend and I decided to remove the trim under the windowsill and have the chair rail molding installed at the same height as the window for a unique architectural detail and focal point for the room.
It also makes the room seem taller than its eight-foot walls. I also added corner bead trim around the window and painted the sides white so the window looks more polished.
Installing Milton and King’s wallpaper was easier than I expected. It’s non-woven so there is no shrinking or expanding when wet and you are able to paste the walls directly and apply the wallpaper dry.
I did carefully prep the walls by sanding the texture off and fixing cracks in the drywall. My friend and I were able to do the bottom half of the walls in an afternoon (after a weekend of sanding and prep!).
Why you should consider installing wallpaper on the bottom half of the wall:
- If your house is older or gets cracks around the upper window and doors, chances are the lower half is a smoother canvas and less susceptible to future damage.
- Installing wallpaper on the bottom half will more likely keep it hole free as we hang art mostly at eye level.
- Keeping a busy pattern on the lower half allows furniture to break it up and keeps the room from being overwhelmed with a bold print.
- It’s a little weird.
Chair Rail Ideas
Here are a couple of other makeovers I’ve done for the same challenge that will give you more chair rail ideas for a bedroom. I think it is safe to say that I really like the interest dado rail and molding add to a room!
- Use two-toned walls with a chair rail for an eye-catching feature. You can read all about dado rails and how to achieve this beautiful look in this article. This should inspire chair rail paint ideas! You don’t have to keep them neutral.
- Install wallpaper above the chair rail and pull a color from the print to paint the bottom half below the chair rail. This is a great way to save money on wallpaper and makes it easier to install versus an entire wall and room.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Most of the products have arrived and I’ve been sharing behind the scenes on IG stories. You can find them on NYNR highlights. They are so beautiful, I have to give a big shout-out to our generous sponsors!
Boho Vintage Girls Bedroom To Do List:
Update IKEA Kallax Bookcase with DIY base and inserts Add chair rail Paint the wall above chair rail Paint the ceiling Sand the wall and install wallpaper
- Paint dresser and update hardware
- Bring in new bed and refresh bedding
- Install new curtain rod
- Hem curtains and hang
- Finish up with boho and vintage touches/styling
- Paint fan blades (new to-do!)
I have a few painting projects this week and then it will be time to put everything together! I’m just excited to see what my friends are doing. Make sure to pop in and see their weekly progress and come back next week for the room reveals.
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…